We are a new vibrant community of faith based in the South-West of Christchurch. A multi-cultural, mission-minded, Christ-centered and Spirit -led community, sharing the love of God in our world. The heartbeat of our church is Passion for God and Compassion for People with a vision to know God and make him known.
We are a relational community and love families of all shapes and sizes. We love kids, teens, young adults and everyone right up to those "mature in years." Our desire is that everyone finds their unique call and gift in God as we serve him together by extending his Kingdom in Christchurch, New Zealand and Beyond.
Our name says it all: We are passionate about helping people find harmony in all their relationships; with God, ourselves, each other and the world.
Harmony was planted in 2009 and is part of the International Christian Centres network, in association with Greenlane Christian Centre, Auckland, with close to 1000 churches in New Zealand, Asia and Africa.
Passion for God - Compassion for people
Our 7 Core Values
- Wellspring: God - the Source, bringing life
- Worship: Connection - a time of closeness with God (privately, together, with the help of the Holy Spirit, crossing ages and cultures, expressive, genuine and relevant)
- Word: The Bible - the inspired word of God
- Wellbeing: Health - the emotional, physical, mental, spiritual and social aspects of the people God has created us to be
- Wisdom: Education and Training - growing in knowledge, insight and understanding
- Works: Doing - To be the action of Christ in our local, national and global community.
- World: Environment - Respecting creation
Harmony with God, ourselves, others and our world
Our name - Harmony Church
Let us share with you the deeper meaning of Harmony. It is a wonderful word as it describes God, ourselves and our mission, and is a musical term.
- Harmony is one of the meanings of the word SHALOM, which is one of the most important and profound
words in the Bible as it describes God’s reality (heaven) and how creation had been made in perfect
peace, unity and harmony. It also means wholeness and health, which are words we have used much to
describe our mission.
Strong's Concordance 7965 – Shalom is a Hebrew word and word study in the New King James version for SHALOM says: Completeness, wholeness, health, peace, welfare, safety soundness, tranquility, prosperity, perfectness, fullness, rest, harmony, the absence of agitation or discord. It is a really powerful word as such.
- Harmony describes God as it expresses the nature, essence and being of God as an eternal Trinitarian harmonious unity of perfect love and relationship between the Father, Son and Spirit.
- Harmony describes who we want to be as a relational community living in love, unity & harmony.
- Harmony fully expresses our mission of reconciliation as we bring harmony to people's relationship with God, others, ourselves and nature. We are harmony makers.
- Harmony describes the holistic nature of our mission as we want to minister to the well-being of the total person; spiritual, physical, mental & emotional and social.
- Harmony is a musical term describing interconnectedness and relationality in music which is also a wonderful means of expressing our love for God.
- Harmony is a term that resonates well with the longing of people to find significance and wholeness in meaningful connectedness in all relationships
Harmony Church Statement of Faith
Harmony Church shall uphold the truths of the historic Christian faith, including the following items of belief:
0. There is one true God, infinite and all powerful, eternally existing in three persons, the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit.
0. God is loving and merciful, holy and just and is the creator and sustainer of all things.
0. God has revealed himself in the Scriptures of the Old and New Testaments. All Scripture is uniquely inspired by God and is therefore wholly trustworthy and of supreme and final authority in faith and life.
0. Jesus Christ is God's only Son and God incarnate. He was conceived by the Holy Spirit, born of the virgin Mary and lived a perfect and sinless human life. He was sent to reveal God, to proclaim the reign of God in the power of the Holy Spirit, and to accomplish God's saving purposes.
0. Christ died on the cross for our sins as our representative and substitute. God raised him from the dead through the power of the Spirit and he is exalted at the right hand of the Father, having received all authority in heaven and on earth.
0. Human beings are made in the image of God. They are created to love, worship and enjoy fellowship with God and have been entrusted with the stewardship of God's creation.
0. Through human disobedience to God, sin and death entered the world. All have sinned and are therefore guilty before God and under God's judgement. Sin separates people from God; it also brings brokenness to human relationships, disrupts the created order and distorts humanity's relationship with creation.
0. Salvation is the gift of God's grace through the death of Jesus Christ, and is available to all who repent of their sins and by faith receive him as Saviour and Lord. They are born again by the Holy Spirit, thereby becoming children of God.
0. Through the Spirit's indwelling, God's people are enabled to live holy lives and are equipped, in the fellowship of the Church, to witness and work for Christ and to glorify God in the world.
0. The Church is the community of all Christian believers, who have been formed by the Holy Spirit into one body of which the Lord Jesus Christ is the Head.
0. The Church is commissioned by Christ to bear witness to the gospel to all peoples through word, deed and sign.
Christ will return in power and glory to consummate God's kingdom. He will gather his people, judge the world in righteousness, and renew creation. Those outside of Christ will be raised to eternal judgement; those who belong to Christ will be raised to enjoy eternal life in God's presence.